Fellowship is one of the most prestigious honors granted to SIR's Active and Corresponding members, and is the ultimate recognition of professional achievement.
Based on outstanding credentials, achievements and community contributions to interventional radiology and SIR and SIR Foundation, those who are elected to Fellowship signal to peers and patients their commitment to quality IR care through use of the FSIR designation. Fellows of the SIR come from all disease states within interventional radiology.
Active fellowship requirements
- Active Fellow candidates shall have been an Active Member in good standing of the Society for at least five contiguous years.
- The candidate shall have made a significant contribution to the field of Interventional Radiology as well as contribution(s) to the Society as determined by the policy set forth by the Fellows’ Affairs Committee. When evaluating candidates for Fellowship, the Fellows’ Affairs Committee shall review the totality of the candidate's contributions on behalf of Interventional Radiology and the Society. Fellowship shall be awarded based on a long and consistent history of activities.
- Corresponding Fellows shall include those eligible individuals who have been a Corresponding Member in good standing for at least five contiguous years and reside outside of the United States. They must meet the same requirements as Active Fellows regarding their contribution(s) to interventional radiology and the Society.
- Individuals practicing outside of the United States shall have the option of applying as an active or Corresponding Fellow.
As outlined in the Society of Interventional Radiology Bylaws, Active Fellows shall be members of the Society who have made a significant contribution(s) to the field of interventional radiology and to the society. There will be no limit on the number of Fellows.
- completed and submitted online application (Applicants will be able to save their progress and will be able to review the application before submitting.)
- a copy of your CV
- a cover letter that includes documentation supporting and highlighting the criteria that you are applying under along with your accomplishments in IR and contributions to the Society
- Photocopy of your Board Certificate
- 2 letters of recommendation from current SIR Fellows
To be considered for induction at the Annual SIR Fellows' Business Meeting and Dinner, all applications must be completed by December 31st of the calendar year prior to the meeting.
Providing a letter of recommendation
The letters of recommendation are a very important component of the Fellowship candidate’s nomination package. As a general rule, more weight will be given to letters that provide substantial information as opposed to brief or pro-forma letters. Sponsors should be encouraged to provide detail in their letters of the candidate's accomplishments.