Interventional Radiology in the News
- SIR member Sean Tutton, M.D., FSIR, comments on vertebroplasty’s efficacy under the right circumstances in: an article about the covert world of Wikipedia editing (The Atlantic, Aug. 2015)
- Read a profile of SIR member Mark H. Wholey, M.D., FSIR, pioneer in technologies such as the angiographic injector system, the Wholey Wire, the carotid artery stent and the embolic protection system. (Healio.com, Aug. 2015)
- Research shows the effectiveness of new ultrasound applications in diagnosing and treating many conditions including chronic plantar fasciitis. Learn about SIR member/Dr. Rahul Razdan’s work. http://bit.ly/1EpkLHv (RSNA News, August)
- Angelo Malamis, MD, and Loyola Heath colleagues report results from their clinical trial on minimally invasive treatments for cancer that has spread to the spine
(News-medical.net, July 10, 2015)
- Aaron Shiloh, MD, FSIR, writes "Varicose Veins: You Don't Have to Put Up With Them Anymore.” (Philly Fitness, July 2015)
- SIR member Alex Ding, MD, provides insights for trainees to help determine whether a career in interventional radiology might be a good fit.
(AMA Wire, June 30, 2015)
- A new Medical College of Wisconsin study by medical student member Jennifer LaRoy and colleagues, notes that IR trounces surgery on price for chest-port insertion.
(HealthImaging.com; June 29, 2015)
- SIR member Jamison Wilson, MD, discusses the advantages behind Y90 in the treatment of liver cancer. (Star Press [Muncie, Indiana], June 24)
- SIR member Nishita Kothary, MD, FSIR, provides tips for using cone-beam CT in the interventional oncology setting (InterventionalOncology360.com; June 17, 2015)
- SIR member Katharine Krol, MD, FSIR talks about coding for percutaneous treatment of vertebral fractures. (Endovascular Today, June 2015)
- SIR members Jeffrey Hull, MD and Dheeraj Rajan, MD, provide an update on percutaneous av fistula creation and discuss technical concepts and ongoing research in this emerging option for hemodialysis access. (Endovascular Today, June 2015)
- SIR member and Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology Editor-in-chief, Ziv Haskal, MD, FSIR, discusses stent graft use in AV access maintenance. (Endovascular Today, June 2015) http://bit.ly/1gjmokm
- SIR member, Rahul Razdan, M.D. featured discussing interventional radiology treatment for chronic plantar fasciitis in U.S. News & World Report (U.S. News & World Report, June 11)
- Interventional News reports that interventional radiologists, including SIR member Marc Sapoval, M.D., Ph.D., and urologists in France are teaming up to for a multidisciplinary registry to collect data on prostatic artery embolization for the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- SIR member/Dr. Kieran Murphy, recipient of the 2015 SIR Foundation Leaders in Innovation Award, told Interventional News that premedication with an oral antioxidant cocktail before medical imaging exams may reduce DNA injury from ionizing radiation.
- SIR member Aaron Fischman, MD, discusses the choice patients have in IR as a treatment for uterine fibroids.
(Radiology Business Journal, May 2015)
- SIR member John Haaga, MD, FSIR, discusses how to improve cancer care by studying tumor vessel formation [video]
(InterventionalOncology360.com, May 21, 2015)
- Interventional Radiologists Leading Radiology Pack in Participation in Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS).
- SIR member Sophie Chheang, M.D., participates in “bloodless medicine” program in her community. (White Plains Daily Voice)
- Radiology Today story features update on prostate artery embolization embolization to treat lower urinary tract symptoms secondary to benign prostatic hyperplasiaBPH. The article features input on ongoing studies from SIR members including Sandeep Bagla, M.D., Joao Martins Pisco, M.D., FSIR, and Francisco Carnevale, M.D., FSIR. (Radiology Today, May 2015)
- SIR member Karun Sharma, M.D., Ph.D., discusses destroying bone tumors in two children using magnetic resonance-guided high intensity focused ultrasound. (WUSA-TV)
- SIR member Bulent Arslan, M.D., of Rush University Hospital Chicago, notes that Rush is one of only a few Chicago-area hospitals using NanoKnife technology to attack hard-to-reach tumors. (HealthNewsDigest.com)
- Medical College of Wisconsin in Milwaukee interventional radiologists implement systems approach to revenue management that improves charge capture for services to inpatients. (Applied Radiology)
- As a member of a collaborative stroke care team, SIR member/Dr. Stephen Huber at Allentown’s (Pa.) comprehensive stroke center “snaked a catheter through (Trudy Singley’s) leg into her brain, grasped the clot with a special tool and removed it.” (Lehigh Valley Health Network)
- SIR Fellow-in-training, Osman Ahmed, M.D., interviewed by InterventionalOncology360.com about SIR 2015 research/poster: ‘Cost Accounting for Transarterial Chemoembolization’ (IO360.com)
- In the segment, “The Impact of Cirrhosis on Treating HCC,” SIR member/Dr. Jeff Geschwind notes that, “For interventional radiology, cirrhosis is also a challenge, as normalizing the cirrhosis and the level of liver function is a key component of the decision-making process.” (OncLive.com)
- How can interventional radiology service line development support growth? Hear from the Advisory Board Company (The Advisory Board Company, April 6, 2015)
- During SIR 2015 in Atlanta, Interventional Oncology 360 asked SIR member, Eric Cressman, M.D., Ph.D., FSIR, about developing technologies in microwave ablation.
- SIR member James Spain, M.D., Ph.D., profiled in Columbus (Ohio) CEO story ‘Interventional radiologists use minimally invasive methods to speed surgery recovery’ (ColumbusCEO.com, April 2015)
- SIR member Eric Cubin, M.D., explains how interventional radiology opens up a new world of possibilities in patient care (April 4, 2015, OilCityWyo.com)
- Radiologists play a key role in modern medicine: Article explores the radiologic world in an interview with SIR member David Steinberg, M.D., who studied under SIR member Barry Katzen, M.D., FSIR. (Las Vegas Review Journal, March 22)
- Interventional Radiology as Option for Men with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (Radiation Therapy News, March 5)
- 3D printing with bioresorbable polymers may result in less invasive, fewer medical procedures (Plastics Today, March 4)
- 3D printing technology could customize IR treatments to individual patients (Radiology Business Journal, March 3)
- Tailored radiology treatments made possible with 3D printed devices (The Engineer, March 3)
- 3D-printed bioplastics could be the future of interventional radiology (Health Imaging, March 3)
- SIR: Ultrasound helps plantar fasciitis patients (Aunt Minnie, March 3)
- New York Daily News: Migraine treatment through the nose reduces pain: study (New York Daily News, March 2)
- The Week: New treatment could bring relief to migraine sufferers (The Week, March 2)
- SIR: 3D printer fashions tools for interventional radiology (Aunt Minnie, March 2)
- SIR Presents Study of 3D Printing as Innovative Method to Deliver Treatment (Endovascular Today, March 2)
- Prostate Artery Embolization Shown to Be Effective for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia in Study Presented at SIR (Endovascular Today, March 2)
- SIR: Image-guided treatment curbs migraines (Aunt Minnie, March 2)
- New migraine treatment shows promise (UPI, March 2)
- Migraine treatment using X-ray guidance may hold potential for relief (Fox News, March 1)
- Image-Guided Ultrasonic Technology Shows Promise in Treating Chronic Plantar Fasciitis (Endovascular Today, March 1)
- Chronic Plantar Fasciitis Relieved Via New Interventional Radiology Treatment (Science World Report, March 1)
- Nerve Treatment Via Nose Shows Promise Against Migraines (HealthDay, March 1)
- Researchers say new treatment may provide migraine relief (WTOP Radio, Washington, D.C., March 1)
- Intranasal Radiology Treatment Breaks The Migraine Cycle (Science 2.0, March 1)
- Ultrasound Treatment May Be Option for Plantar Fasciitis (HealthDay, March 1)
- New treatment could help cure your plantar fasciitis (RunHaven, March 1)
- Most patients don't know what ionizing radiation is and don't understand its risks: SIR member Joseph Steele, M.D., FSIR, and researchers from M.D. Anderson Cancer Center (Aunt Minnie, Jan. 16)
- SIR 2015: Take home new skills and perspectives from Atlanta: SIR 2015 chair, Jafar Golzarian, M.D., FSIR (Interventional News, Jan. 15)
See the archive for older stories.