Interventional Radiology Is a Growing Global Community
- Attending SIR's Annual Scientific Meeting? Visa questions answered.
- International IR Organizations
- International Awards
- Learn More About International Affiliate Program, Corresponding Membership
- Learn More About International Affiliate Program, Corresponding Membership (Spanish)
- Join Now: Application for Members Living/Practicing Outside of United States (Corresponding)
- Join Now: Application for International Affiliate Program (Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology only)
- U.S.-based Fellowship Opportunities
- Observership Opportunities for International IRs
- Helpful Information for International Attendees and Visitors to SIR's Annual Scientific Meeting
SIR Collaborates With International Societies
We may all speak different languages—but we are one global community that wants to provide patients with state-of-the-art minimally invasive interventional radiology treatment choices.
As as we look toward our common future as interventional radiologists, it is increasingly clear that there is much to be gained from sharing. And it is our hope that this portal will assist in these efforts. Here you will discover resources to make interaction between our societies easier and more productive, and answers to questions about where to find things on the SIR website. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have questions or need more information.Brian Stainken, MD, FSIR
Chair, SIR International Task Force
International Liaison Societies
CIRA 13th Annual Meeting
CIRA 2014 Annual Meeting
May 29-31, 2014
Le Centre Sheraton
Montréal, QC, Canada
For meeting information and registration, please visit www.ciraweb.org and view the preliminary program.
Email CIRA for more information.
Czech IR Society Recognizes Seminal Anniversary
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Dr. Charles T. Dotter's milestone presentation of his paper, "Planting the Seeds of Interventional Radiology" at the Congressus Radiologicus Czechoslovacus, and the worldwide growth of interventional radiology since then, the Czech Society of Interventional Radiology (CSIR) has created a memorial medal. One side cites the meeting information, while the other includes the logos of CSIR, SIR and CIRSE. During his historic presentation, Dr. Dotter talked for the first time about catheters as devices for treatment and replacements for scalpels. The Congress was visited by almost 200 prominent angiographers from Europe and the United States. SIR thanks CSIR for including the Society in this remarkable recognition.
SIR's international scholarship program provides grants that enable physicians within 10 years of completion of training who are practicing outside North America an opportunity to attend the SIR meeting. By offering physicians from other nations this chance to train and learn at the Annual Scientific Meeting,the hope is that they can return to teach and enhance patient care. The SIR International Scholarship Program is intended to foster professional networking through meeting participation, focused programming, and optional visiting observerships before or after the Annual Scientific Meeting. It will build key relationships with future international IR leaders, educate the U.S. membership, strengthen the developing international IR movement, build the leadership base among partnered international societies, and enhance the educational experience for international and U.S. physicians.
Announcing the International SIR Scholarship Grant to Attend the SIR 39th Annual Scientific Meeting
SIR International Scholarship Program Guidelines
Learn about corporate support opportunities for the SIR International Scholarship Program. If you are interested in donating to the International Scholarship fund, please contact international@SIRweb.org.
SIR Thanks Corporate Supporters
International Leadership Update
SIR'S International Leadership Update is distributed to the top leaders of interventional radiology societies around the world. The newsletter underscores the common goals of IRs worldwide and the opportunity to share communications and ideas.
Email us if you have international news to share.
Annual Scientific Meeting Information for International Attendees
Helpful Information for international attendees and visitors.
Purchase proceedings from past SIR Annual Scientific Meetings.
Effort to Reverse Exclusion of UAE in Brazil a Success: SIR Submits Letter to Sociedade Brasileira de Radiologia Intervencionista e Cirurgia Endovascular (SoBRICE)
The Brazilian National Agency of Health has reversed its exclusion of uterine artery embolization to treat fibroids. This is an important victory in the effort to ensure that patients in Brazil have access to uterine artery embolization as a quality treatment of choice. The successful reversal was the result of hard work by the Brazilian Society of Interventional Radiology (SoBRICE) and the Brazilian Society of Gynecology.
The effort was supported by a formal letter from SIR providing data and expressing surprise that a procedure that is an accepted standard of care by interventional radiologists and gynecologists in the United States and other countries was designated as experimental in Brazil. "Your help was fundamental for this result," said Alexander Corvello, M.D., president of SoBRICE. "I am absolutely sure that this reversal will be an example for others to recognize fibroid embolization as an effective treatment," he added.
Here is the SIR letter in support of uterine artery embolization as a treatment choice.(Jan. 12, 2012)
International Affiliate Program
This program will provide online-only access to www.JVIR.org. This includes archived and current issues of the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology and JVIR supplements. The yearly rate for this program is $130 USD. Those wishing to receive a print version of JVIR and SIR membership benefits should consider becoming a SIR Corresponding Member, which is $320 USD.
Who Can Apply for the International Affiliate Program?
Only SIR nonmembers who reside/practice outside of the United States, Canada and Mexico are eligible to apply for this program. Current SIR members are not eligible for this program. The $130 rate for this program may not be prorated.
SIR Corresponding Membership
We invite you to join the growing global community of members who are building the specialty of IR around the world. This category of membership is for those who live or practice outside of the United States.
Benefits of International Corresponding Membership:
- Member Registration Discount for the SIR Annual Scientific Meeting - Immerse yourself in five days of hands-on training, plenary and scientific sessions, categorical courses, symposia, workshops, and enjoyable social events. Experience a diverse faculty of experts from around the world.
- JVIR - Access to 12 issues of the leading scientific, peer-reviewed journal in interventional radiology in print and on-line, the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. Read the latest research, case studies and specialty advancements. Abstracts and full text searchable archives are online at www.jvir.org.
- Dr. Finder - Help patients find you in your country. Personalize your Dr. Finder listing, including what languages you speak.
- Advocacy on issues that impact IR globally and locally.
- Members-only Website - Access practice building materials and reach your colleagues through the membership directory.
- Discounts on SIR products - Patient Information Brochures, training and education materials, referral products, plus much more in the IR Store.
- Education - Stay on top of the hottest topics in your specialty through the SIR Learning Center, which offers access to a wealth of on-line learning.
- Quarterly online issues of IR Quarterly - SIR’s magazine that communicates updates critical to the practice of IR, augmented with stories, interviews and in-depth analysis in each 32-plus-page issue. IR Quarterly delivers interventional radiologists quality reporting on political advocacy, practice management and the latest specialty news and information.
- STAT and E-News - Receive e-mailed alerts on Society news, educational meetings, and new programs and services.
- Practice Development - Utilize SIR resources to expand and strengthen your practice, educate patients, and reach referring physicians.
- Networking - Participate in observerships, career development and networking opportunities in one of the fastest growing medical fields.
Applications are complete once the application and all supporting documentation has been received by the SIR Membership Applications Committee. If you are a member of an official SIR Liaison Society, you will not need to submit letters of recommendation with your membership application. We will only need to verify your membership in that organization. If you need a list of SIR members in your country to identify someone you know to recommend you, please contact the SIR Membership Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite you to click here to APPLY FOR CORRESPONDING MEMBERSHIP
Society of Interventional Radiology Advances Global Definition of Specialty, Benefits Patients
The Society of Interventional Radiology, with the support of 41 international societies representing 10,000 interventional radiology doctors, has issued the first global statement defining interventional radiology-one designed to benefit medical treatment for individuals. The statement addresses the evolution, impact and future direction of this minimally invasive specialty, emphasizing the worldwide availability of this specialized medical care. The statement, the result of more than two years of collaborative work, is being co-published in August as a "Special Communications" in SIR's Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology and in the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe's journal.
Society of Interventional Radiology Advances Global Definition of Specialty, Benefits Patients: A First: 41 Interventional Radiology Societies Join SIR in Supporting Statement That Stresses Interventional Radiology's Importance in Medical Care for Patients, Outlines Identity and Scope of IR Practices Worldwide, July 7, 2010
Special Communications: Global Statement Defining Interventional Radiology, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (August 2010)
"We Are IR," Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, August 2010
Spanish Translation of Global Statement
Special Communications: the Global Statement Defining Interventional Radiology, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, in print August 2010 has been translated in to Spanish by the Revista Argentina de Radiologia, the official scientific organ of the Sociedad Argentina de Radiologia and of the Federacion Argentina de Asociaciones de Radiologia.(May 26, 2011)
Related JVIR Articles
Denied in Canada: Why We Need a Global Strategic Plan for Interventional Radiology, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, January 2008
Interventional Radiology Deserves Formal Recognition as a Distinct Medical Subspecialty: A Statement From the Canadian Interventional Radiology Association, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, January 2008
SIR Members International Discussion Forum
Participate in SIR Members International Discussion Forum.
All SIR press releases are posted in the Media section.