- Greeting from Brian Stainken, MD, FSIR, chair SIR International Task Force
- International Connections – Societies and International Ambassadors
- International Scholars Program
- U.S. IR Training Opportunities
- SIR Global Vision: International newsletter
- Annual Scientific Meeting
- International Affiliate Program
- Corresponding Membership
- Global Definition of Specialty
We may all speak different languages—but we are one global community that wants to provide patients with state-of-the-art minimally invasive interventional radiology treatment choices.
As we look toward our common future as interventional radiologists, it is increasingly clear that there is much to be gained from sharing. And it is our hope that this portal will assist in these efforts. Here you will discover resources to make interaction between our societies easier and more productive, and answers to questions about where to find things on the SIR website. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have questions or need more information.
Brian Stainken, MD, FSIR
SIR at APCCVIR, Suzhou, China
SIR leaders and staff attended the APCCVIR meeting in Suzhou, China, to talk about SIR, the Annual Scientific meeting and ways to advance the specialty on a global level. Caoye Wang, pictured above with Brian Stainken, MD, FSIR, SIR's international councilor, was an SIR International Scholar in 2016, and will serve as an International Scholar Mentor at SIR's 2017 Annual Scientific Meeting in Washington, D.C.
More than 250 interventional experts from all over the world were invited to participate in APCCVIR. The meeting featured 300 academic presentations and traditional meeting programming(such as oral presentations, electronic posters, product displays and satellite meetings). A series of special sessions with rich content and various forms, provied very popular, including an "APSCVIR meets" series (ISET in Asia, APSCVIR meets SIR, APSCVIR meets WCIO, APSCVIR meets CIRSE, APSCVIR meets SGI, APSCVIR meets GEST), hands-on workshops, panel discussions, case-based discussions, refresher courses and more. The conference covered various disease states, topics and treatments related to intervention including MDT in liver cancer, renal denervation, women in IR, industry and IR, and nursing interventions.
The Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology announces, JVIR Beacon, a new pilot program intended to help disseminate IR knowledge and education to interventional physicians in areas of the world with limited resources and access to IR science. JVIR and SIR are committed to advancing healthcare in the developing lower-income countries. We wish to support IR education, clinical practice and volunteerism in such environments to help build local IR programs and train experts.
To this end, we have made available a limited number of free electronic 1-year online subscriptions to JVIR for qualified practitioners in third-world, lower-income countries. I encourage interested individuals to write directly to JVIR at: JVIRBeacon@gmail.com. Tell us about your individual circumstances as a potential candidate for the subscription.
International Liaison Societies
International Affiliate/Collaborative IR Meetings
CIRA 2016 Annual Meeting
June 9 – 11, 2016
Sheraton on the Falls
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Guest speakers at the 2015 CIRA meeting included SIR members Michael D. Dake, M.D., FSIR, and Michael C. Soulen, M.D., FSIR as well as SIR corresponding member Anna-Maria Belli, M.D., the current CIRSE president. Several SIR members also served as speakers and moderators during the meeting sessions. View an album from the 2015 event.
U.S. SIR members attended the Mongolian Society of Interventional Radiology's first annual meeting in April 2014. View an album.
U.S. SIR members attended international meetings during April 2014. Drs. Sanjeeva Kalva, John Kaufman and Brian Stainken attended the Indian Society of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (ISVIR) Annual Meeting, FLOW 2014, in Mumbai, India. Drs. Ziv Haskal and Jafar Golzarian participated in the 73rd Annual Meeting of Japan Radiological Society (JRS) in Yokohama, Japan.
SIR members Brian Stainken, MD, FSIR; David Kumpe, MD, FSIR, and SIR corresponding member Shozo Hirota, MD, delivered lectures at the 11th Scientific Meeting of the Chinese Society of Interventional Radiology in Changsha. Dr. Stainken and Osamu Matsui were presented with the Society’s Honorary Members Award, given to international experts who have made significant contributions to the development of interventional radiology in China.
Joint meeting of Mongolian Society of Interventional and Abdominal Radiology and the First International Forum for Liver Specific Imaging and Intervention
[L to R] Enkhbold Seerejav, MD (2014 SIR International Scholar, Mongolia); Bolortuya Byambadorj, MD; Professor Yun Hwan Kim; Undrakh-Erdene Erdenebold (2012 SIR International Scholar and current president of the Mongolian Society of Interventional Radiology); Urnult Ganbold, MD (2013 SIR International Scholar, Mongolia), Dr. Yumchinserchin
SIR's international scholarship program provides grants that enable physicians within 10 years of completion of training who are practicing outside North America an opportunity to attend the SIR meeting.
Resources for International Physicians Interested in Interventional Radiology Training in the United States
Association of Program Directors in Radiology (APDR)
Medical student, residency, and fellowship information for trainees
Radiology Residency Programs
Find the list of Radiology Residency Programs and Program Directors with contact information.
If you have an interest in a specific program, the program director can provide information on state regulations or specific requirements for his or her program.
Interventional Radiology Fellowship Programs
This is a list of the IR fellowship programs. When you click the link, choose the "accept" box. On the next page you will see the title "SIR Online Fellowship Directory." If you would like to see all the programs at once hit the "Search" button. Or, you can search by regions or states.
American Board of Radiology’s International Medical Graduate Information
SIR’s IR/DR Certificate and IR Residency information page
This program will provide online-only access to www.JVIR.org. This includes archived and current issues of the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology and JVIR supplements. The yearly rate for this program is $130 USD. Those wishing to receive a print version of JVIR and SIR membership benefits should consider becoming a SIR Corresponding Member, which is $375 USD.
Who Can Apply for the International Affiliate Program?
Only SIR nonmembers who reside/practice outside of the United States, Canada and Mexico are eligible to apply for this program. Current SIR members are not eligible for this program. The $130 rate for this program may not be prorated.
We invite you to join the growing global community of members who are building the specialty of IR around the world. This category of membership is for those who live or practice outside of the United States.
Benefits of International Corresponding Membership:
- Member Registration Discount for the SIR Annual Scientific Meeting - Immerse yourself in five days of hands-on training, plenary and scientific sessions, categorical courses, symposia, workshops, and enjoyable social events. Experience a diverse faculty of experts from around the world.
- JVIR - Access to 12 issues of the leading scientific, peer-reviewed journal in interventional radiology in print and on-line, the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. Read the latest research, case studies and specialty advancements. Abstracts and full text searchable archives are online at www.jvir.org.
- Dr. Finder - Help patients find you in your country. Personalize your Dr. Finder listing, including what languages you speak.
- Advocacy on issues that impact IR globally and locally.
- Members-only Website - Access practice building materials and reach your colleagues through the membership directory.
- Discounts on SIR products - Patient Information Brochures, training and education materials, referral products, plus much more in the IR Store.
- Education - Stay on top of the hottest topics in your specialty through the SIR Learning Center, which offers access to a wealth of on-line learning.
- Quarterly online issues of IR Quarterly - SIR’s magazine that communicates updates critical to the practice of IR, augmented with stories, interviews and in-depth analysis in each 32-plus-page issue. IR Quarterly delivers interventional radiologists quality reporting on political advocacy, practice management and the latest specialty news and information.
- STAT and E-News - Receive e-mailed alerts on Society news, educational meetings, and new programs and services.
- Practice Development - Utilize SIR resources to expand and strengthen your practice, educate patients, and reach referring physicians.
- Networking - Participate in observerships, career development and networking opportunities in one of the fastest growing medical fields.
Applications are complete once the application and all supporting documentation has been received by the SIR Membership Applications Committee. If you are a member of an official SIR Liaison Society, you will not need to submit letters of recommendation with your membership application. We will only need to verify your membership in that organization. If you need a list of SIR members in your country to identify someone you know to recommend you, please contact the SIR Membership Department at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We invite you to click here to APPLY FOR CORRESPONDING MEMBERSHIP