- Greeting from Brian Stainken, MD, FSIR, chair SIR International Task Force
- International Connections – Societies and International Ambassadors
- International Scholars Program
- U.S. IR Training Opportunities
- Annual Scientific Meeting
- International Affiliate Program
- Corresponding Membership
- Global Definition of Specialty
- Attending SIR's Annual Scientific Meeting? Visa questions answered.
- International IR Organizations
- International Awards
- Learn More About International Affiliate Program, Corresponding Membership
- Learn More About International Affiliate Program, Corresponding Membership (Spanish)
- Join Now: Application for Members Living/Practicing Outside of United States (Corresponding)
- Join Now: Application for International Affiliate Program (Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology only)
- U.S.-based Fellowship Opportunities
- Observership Opportunities for International IRs
- Helpful Information for International Attendees and Visitors to SIR's Annual Scientific Meeting
We may all speak different languages—but we are one global community that wants to provide patients with state-of-the-art minimally invasive interventional radiology treatment choices.
As as we look toward our common future as interventional radiologists, it is increasingly clear that there is much to be gained from sharing. And it is our hope that this portal will assist in these efforts. Here you will discover resources to make interaction between our societies easier and more productive, and answers to questions about where to find things on the SIR website. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you have questions or need more information.
Brian Stainken, MD, FSIR
SIR Officers and Staff at CIRSE
SIR officers and staff attended the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (CIRSE) annual meeting in September in Glasgow, Scotland. View an album from the event.
Society of Interventional Radiology Issues Global Call For Research
Drive the Future of Image-guided Intervention; Share Outcomes at the SIR 2015 Annual Scientific Meeting; Scientific Abstract Online Submission Open Until Oct. 3
International Liaison Societies
International Affiliate/Collaborative IR Meetings
June 5 - 7, 2014
Japanese Society of Interventional Radiology (JSIR)
43rd Annual Meeting of JSIR
43rd Annual Meeting of JSIR
May 15 – 18, 2014
APCCVIR & SRSCRS
Joint Meeting of The 11th Asia-Pacific Congress of Cardiovascular and
Interventional Radiology (APCCVIR): InspIRation
23rd Annual Scientific Meeting of the Singapore Radiological Society and College of Radiologists Singapore
- Lima, Peru
May 8 – 11, 2014
First International Interventional Radiology Meeting
J.W. Marriott Hotel Lima
Malecon De La Reserva 615 Miraflores
Lima, Lima 18, Peru
Organizer: Jaime Tisnado, MD
SIR's International Visitors
In July, Dr. Marques (left), Campo Grande, Brazil, visited SIR’s office with his family to gather information for his son on SIR membership and IR fellowships in the United States.
In May, Drs. Juan Du (L) and Ren Jie Yang of Beijing, China, visited SIR HQ with their two children (Ben and Mia) last week. Yang is president of the Asia-Pacific Society of Interventional Oncology (APSIO); chair of the Chinese Society of Interventional Oncology (CSIO); chair of the IR department at Peking University Cancer Hospital; and executive councilor of the Chinese Anti-cancer Association (CACA).
U.S. SIR members attended the Mongolian Society of Interventional Radiology's first annual meeting in April 2014. View an album.
U.S. SIR members attended international meetings during April 2014. Drs. Sanjeeva Kalva, John Kaufman and Brian Stainken attended the Indian Society of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (ISVIR) Annual Meeting, FLOW 2014, in Mumbai, India. Drs. Ziv Haskal and Jafar Golzarian participated in the 73rd Annual Meeting of Japan Radiological Society (JRS) in Yokohama, Japan.
SIR members Brian Stainken, MD, FSIR; David Kumpe, MD, FSIR, and SIR corresponding member Shozo Hirota, MD, delivered lectures at the 11th Scientific Meeting of the Chinese Society of Interventional Radiology in Changsha. Dr. Stainken and Osamu Matsui were presented with the Society’s Honorary Members Award, given to international experts who have made significant contributions to the development of interventional radiology in China.
To celebrate the 50th anniversary of Dr. Charles T. Dotter's milestone presentation of his paper, "Planting the Seeds of Interventional Radiology" at the Congressus Radiologicus Czechoslovacus, and the worldwide growth of interventional radiology since then, the Czech Society of Interventional Radiology (CSIR) has created a memorial medal. One side cites the meeting information, while the other includes the logos of CSIR, SIR and CIRSE. During his historic presentation, Dr. Dotter talked for the first time about catheters as devices for treatment and replacements for scalpels. The Congress was visited by almost 200 prominent angiographers from Europe and the United States. SIR thanks CSIR for including the Society in this remarkable recognition.
Joint meeting of Mongolian Society of Interventional and Abdominal Radiology and the First International Forum for Liver Specific Imaging and Intervention
[L to R] Enkhbold Seerejav, MD (2014 SIR International Scholar, Mongolia); Bolortuya Byambadorj, MD; Professor Yun Hwan Kim; Undrakh-Erdene Erdenebold (2012 SIR International Scholar and current president of the Mongolian Society of Interventional Radiology); Urnult Ganbold, MD (2013 SIR International Scholar, Mongolia), Dr. Yumchinserchin
SIR's international scholarship program provides grants that enable physicians within 10 years of completion of training who are practicing outside North America an opportunity to attend the SIR meeting.
Resources for International Physicians Interested in Interventional Radiology Training in the United States
Association of Program Directors in Radiology (APDR)
Medical student, residency, and fellowship information for trainees
Radiology Residency Programs
Find the list of Radiology Residency Programs and Program Directors with contact information.
If you have an interest in a specific program, the program director can provide information on state regulations or specific requirements for his or her program.
Interventional Radiology Fellowship Programs
This is a list of the IR fellowship programs. When you click the link, choose the "accept" box. On the next page you will see the title "SIR Online Fellowship Directory." If you would like to see all the programs at once hit the "Search" button. Or, you can search by regions or states.
American Board of Radiology’s International Medical Graduate Information
SIR’s IR/DR Certificate and IR Residency information page
SIR'S International Leadership Update is distributed to the top leaders of interventional radiology societies around the world. The newsletter underscores the common goals of IRs worldwide and the opportunity to share communications and ideas.
Email us if you have international news to share.
Purchase proceedings from past SIR Annual Scientific Meetings.
This program will provide online-only access to www.JVIR.org. This includes archived and current issues of the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology and JVIR supplements. The yearly rate for this program is $130 USD. Those wishing to receive a print version of JVIR and SIR membership benefits should consider becoming a SIR Corresponding Member, which is $375 USD.
Who Can Apply for the International Affiliate Program?
Only SIR nonmembers who reside/practice outside of the United States, Canada and Mexico are eligible to apply for this program. Current SIR members are not eligible for this program. The $130 rate for this program may not be prorated.
We invite you to join the growing global community of members who are building the specialty of IR around the world. This category of membership is for those who live or practice outside of the United States.
Benefits of International Corresponding Membership:
- Member Registration Discount for the SIR Annual Scientific Meeting - Immerse yourself in five days of hands-on training, plenary and scientific sessions, categorical courses, symposia, workshops, and enjoyable social events. Experience a diverse faculty of experts from around the world.
- JVIR - Access to 12 issues of the leading scientific, peer-reviewed journal in interventional radiology in print and on-line, the Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. Read the latest research, case studies and specialty advancements. Abstracts and full text searchable archives are online at www.jvir.org.
- Dr. Finder - Help patients find you in your country. Personalize your Dr. Finder listing, including what languages you speak.
- Advocacy on issues that impact IR globally and locally.
- Members-only Website - Access practice building materials and reach your colleagues through the membership directory.
- Discounts on SIR products - Patient Information Brochures, training and education materials, referral products, plus much more in the IR Store.
- Education - Stay on top of the hottest topics in your specialty through the SIR Learning Center, which offers access to a wealth of on-line learning.
- Quarterly online issues of IR Quarterly - SIR’s magazine that communicates updates critical to the practice of IR, augmented with stories, interviews and in-depth analysis in each 32-plus-page issue. IR Quarterly delivers interventional radiologists quality reporting on political advocacy, practice management and the latest specialty news and information.
- STAT and E-News - Receive e-mailed alerts on Society news, educational meetings, and new programs and services.
- Practice Development - Utilize SIR resources to expand and strengthen your practice, educate patients, and reach referring physicians.
- Networking - Participate in observerships, career development and networking opportunities in one of the fastest growing medical fields.
Applications are complete once the application and all supporting documentation has been received by the SIR Membership Applications Committee. If you are a member of an official SIR Liaison Society, you will not need to submit letters of recommendation with your membership application. We will only need to verify your membership in that organization. If you need a list of SIR members in your country to identify someone you know to recommend you, please contact the SIR Membership Department at: email@example.com.
We invite you to click here to APPLY FOR CORRESPONDING MEMBERSHIP
The Society of Interventional Radiology, with the support of 41 international societies representing 10,000 interventional radiology doctors, has issued the first global statement defining interventional radiology-one designed to benefit medical treatment for individuals. The statement addresses the evolution, impact and future direction of this minimally invasive specialty, emphasizing the worldwide availability of this specialized medical care. The statement, the result of more than two years of collaborative work, is being co-published in August as a "Special Communications" in SIR's Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology and in the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe's journal.
Society of Interventional Radiology Advances Global Definition of Specialty, Benefits Patients: A First: 41 Interventional Radiology Societies Join SIR in Supporting Statement That Stresses Interventional Radiology's Importance in Medical Care for Patients, Outlines Identity and Scope of IR Practices Worldwide, July 7, 2010
Special Communications: Global Statement Defining Interventional Radiology, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology (August 2010)
"We Are IR," Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, August 2010
Spanish Translation of Global Statement
Special Communications: the Global Statement Defining Interventional Radiology, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, in print August 2010 has been translated in to Spanish by the Revista Argentina de Radiologia, the official scientific organ of the Sociedad Argentina de Radiologia and of the Federacion Argentina de Asociaciones de Radiologia.(May 26, 2011)
Related JVIR Articles
Denied in Canada: Why We Need a Global Strategic Plan for Interventional Radiology, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, January 2008
Interventional Radiology Deserves Formal Recognition as a Distinct Medical Subspecialty: A Statement From the Canadian Interventional Radiology Association, Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology, January 2008